Friday, September 21, 2012

Protected

   I had an accident yesterday.  I had been sitting with Bud on their parents' bed listening to him read for school.  He finished the book, and I scrambled up to help him find the next one.
   Now the whole house is tiled with this beautiful, cool white tile.  It feels so good to hot feet!  It had just been mopped, and it takes a while to dry.  I always feel bad because we can't hold up where we are while it's drying...so we make footprints all over the floor.  So it has to be done every day.

   I completely forgot that the floor was wet, and feeling particularly joyus, I jumped off the bed.  My bare feet slid right out from under me, and I fell backwards.  I heard the sound of my head hitting the floor.

   "I have a concussion!"  was the first thought to come to my mind.  I was lying on the floor, and everything was swimming in front of my eyes for a second, then it all righted itself.  I felt too weak to scream, or even move.  All I could do was moan.

   The pain was horrible, but the fear was worse.  I've heard that when you have a concussion, you can't remember things you know well.  So I called to mind my family's faces.  Yes, I could remember their names.  I could see their faces in my mind's eye as I'd skyped with them earlier.  I had been listening to Bud read...he had done well...I was glad...so I jumped... Yes, I remembered what happened.  But did I have a concussion?  Was I seriously hurt?...I waited for darkness to crash over me, but nothing happened.

   Those few seconds were the worst I've experienced in India yet.  I was petrified with fear, and wishing someone would come.  Bud was asking me persistantly if I was all right, but I couldn't answer him.  Of course, the instant my head hit the floor, I heard exclamations and hurrying feet, and a few seconds later, S. had me in her arms and was asking me if I could see straight and I told her I could, and that I hadn't blacked out or lost any memory.  She seemed relieved, and she quickly got some ice and put it under my head.  Ever since the impact, my body had held my head off the ground and my hand was applying pressure to the spot that hurt.  When I moved my hand away, there was blood all over my fingers.  Of course that freaked me out, but S. reassured me that your scalp bleeds a lot when it has been cut.  She felt the place and told me no more was coming out, and that she didn't think I had a concussion. 

   She helped me up and laid me on her bed with a towel under my head.  The instant I moved I became extremely dizzy.  Even though I knew I was standing up, I couldn't even feel that I was.  I felt like I was rolling around in the water. 
   I laid down and rested all afternoon.  For a long while I couldn't sleep.  I stared up at the walls and celing and the fan.  I didn't have a concussion.  I'd fallen and hit my head and I hadn't even blacked out.  I started to cry.  I don't know to what extent angels are responsible for a Christian's physical protection, but God had certainly charged them not to let me be seriously hurt. 
   I cried because I thought of how I'd made a thoughtless decision, and God had protected me.  I remembered how Jesus promised He would always be with us.  Always meant every day of my life.  I remembered how God was gracious.  He hadn't let me die or strike my head against anything sharp.  My pulled-up hair and helped to soften my fall, and it was the ponytail holder that had barely punctured my scalp. 
   God watches each little bird and keeps count of the hairs on our heads.  He knows all things, but He counts each of His children as far more valuable than anything else on earth.  I was reminded of how He not only watches me, He guards me.  He keeps me safe like I keep my little munchkin sister safe when she can't even walk yet.  
   In Hosea 11, God speaks to the nation of Israel reminding them that it was God who chose them when they were just a baby nation and He nurtured and protected them and grew them up just like a father.  Verse three says, "Yet it is I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them in My arms, yet they did not know that I healed them." 
   Right there is one of the most tender displays of love mentioned in the Bible.  That God would be to a people what a father is to his baby when he or she cannot even walk yet.  That heart filled with love and mercy and jealous to protect his child. 
   I'm in my twenties.  In this culture, I'm basically an adult, and am supposed to be somewhat independant from others.  I forget sometimes how helpless I truly am, and also how tender and present my heavenly Father really is.  Laying there resting, my heart swelled with gratitude toward Him.  He protects me.  And He's always with me, every moment, every day.
   Don't forget it, my friends.

~Cadenza

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, just be courteous.