Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Uplifting (part 1)

   This is some summer that I have planned ahead of me!  June I'm going on a local mission trip.  July my brother and I are off to Oxford, England for two weeks!  Yeah, this is looking like a really good summer.  Most of my summers end up being boring, but I'm thinking this year is gonna be an incredible exception! 

   We had our first big missions meeting on Sunday.  Many things about it challenged me, but the one that I've been thinking about in particular is what I want to share with you.  Our pastor proposed that in preparation we choose very carefully what we put into our minds, namely our music.  He proposed we listen to "uplifting" music.  Uplifting?

   That's actually a very helpful word.  These days in Christian circles, you're not allowed to refer to different kinds of music as "good," or "bad."  Let's face it.  Music is the civil war in our American churches.  If we're honest, we all admit it's a tricky subject, and no one wants to wade through all its mental, spiritual, and emotional levels.  So what do we do?  We don't speak about it.  It's a taboo subject.  We label it a "gray," issue and just say, "Aw, let 'em do what they want.  We're free in Christ.  Do what you like, and don't judge anybody else!" 

   Believe me, I understand why people react that way.  There's wisdom in that decision.  I certainly hate mean nitpicking among brothers and sisters in Christ.  The devil must laugh at us.  But, I know.  Sometimes it seems like there can't be peace any other way. 

   The truth is, there is no easy answer.  It's a wisdom issue.  I like to call it that rather than a "gray" issue.  Gray is what happens when black and white flow into each other with no discernible line between them.  To me that corresponds with the well-meaning people who just say, "We're free in Christ, so just listen to whatever you want."  It's true we're free in Christ.  Paul had a lot to say about that freedom in his letters.  But he also had a lot to say about "strong," Christians deferring to more sensitive Christians.  He said things like, "Do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh."  (Gal. 5:13b emphasis mine)  I'm concerned that Christians are so on their guard against the dangers of legalism that we are leaning to the other extreme: spiritual liberalism and relativity.

   That's why I prefer to say it's a wisdom issue.  C.S. Lewis once said that every issue has two extremes, and get this, that both are equally wrong!  The Christian's job is to walk down the middle, resisting the pull of each.  Wisdom means you listen to your conscience and draw the line somewhere.  Maybe I'm unique in this, but the term "gray issue," sort of implies that there is no line needed.  It all just fades together, and as long as you're in the gray, you're good.  The trouble with thinking there are no lines needed is that when you set no lines, you'll slide further and further toward one of the two extremes.    

   1 Corinthians 6:12 says, " 'All things are lawful for me,' but not all things are helpful.  'All things are lawful for me,' but I will not be enslaved to anything. " 

   You may be thinking, "Wait a minute.  I'm not enslaved to the music I listen to.  That's ridiculous." 

   Are you sure?  In America, we have changed from music producers to music consumers.  When I came back from India, I saw things here like I've never seen them before.  Everybody listens to music.  Many people listen to it continually.  Radios constantly on in cars.  Music played in stores.  All kinds of apps for music, countless artists and albums.  Everyone is being bombarded with music and the messages it contains.  Earbuds in everyone's ears, as if they're permanently attached.  All the people I see in public with their eyes glued to a screen.  Their phone, their ipod, their ipad.  What perhaps grieves me most is seeing all the children not even in their teens, toddlers, even infants, mesmerized by colors on a screen.  I see all the glazed eyes.  I drive through the streets and look at all the faces.  In India I was distressed to see so much despair and hopelessness in every face.  Here I'm horrified to find that everyone looks half-asleep; lulled, seduced by Media, the goddess of the West.  In India I saw idols and shrines in every crooked street.  I can't help but see a connection with all the gadgets and gizmos we Americans carry on our persons all the time. 

   I know it may be hard to grasp, but music can be extremely enslaving.  I'm not putting on "holier than thou," airs here; I'll give you an example.  A few years ago, I started listening to country music in my car.  I'd grown up in a household where that genre was unknown.  It was summertime when a friend introduced me to it, and I found myself liking it for its rustic charm.  It seemed to fit with the feel of summer.  I liked it, and soon that was all I was listening to in my car driving to and from work.  Now country music ranges anywhere between a sweet "family man," song to, "my-boyfriend-cheated-on-me,-I'm-going-to-kill-him."  But as I listened to it more and more, songs like the latter stopped bothering me because I was used to the song.  Sometimes I found myself singing along without even thinking about what I was saying.  The worldly, or even horrible message of the words slipped right in with a charming drawl and a well-tuned fiddle.  

   Even after the first craze was over, I found myself wanting to listen to country more and more.  My appetite for all the other genres I like began to dwindle.  I just wanted that tang, that summertime, feel-good feeling.  I didn't know it, but I was enslaved. 

   These last few days, I've been more careful about what I listen to.  I've chosen classical music, or Christian music, or soundtracks instead.  You would not believe how much happier and more free I've felt!  I feel like I've gotten rid of emotional baggage.  It's bizarre because I never knew I was carrying it until it was gone!  To be reminded of the Truth and God's promises to me in a song is so refreshing!  It turns my thoughts toward my Heavenly Father, and---would you believe it?---it makes me feel like I'm actually awake.  As if I've been sleeping, trapped in dull or frightening dreams; but now I'm wide awake, and I realize that those things are just dreams.  My Creator and King loves me and is taking care of me.  He's going to take me home, so why should I be afraid?          

   Again, this is ground where no one wants to tread because no one these days wants to be accused of "meddling."  I'm not trying to meddle; I'm challenging you to meddle with yourself.  Think about the music you listen to.  Listen to the words that you jam to.  What are they really saying?  What's the message behind the song?  If an unbeliever were to see/hear you jamming to that, would it hinder your witness to him or her?   Ask yourself, "Is this helpful?"  "Is this uplifting?" 

   To be continued, folks.  But for now, just take time to think about it. 

~Cadenza   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, just be courteous.